Thursday, February 5, 2015

Repurposed Bed Spring Projects

Recently I decided to tackle taking apart the springs of  an old mattress.
If you've never done this before, take my word, it is quite a bit of work.
The springs were rusty, so in addition to taking them apart,
 I also wire brushed them to clean off the surface rust before making a few projects with them.




The first project I'm sharing today is a wreath made from bed springs.
Wouldn't it look cute with tiny clothespins holding pictures, notes or a pennant banner on the wreath?

I also made one with a burlap bow 


and then added peonies


The next project I want to share combines a piece of reclaimed barn wood,
three bed springs and three thrifted glass pieces.


All of these components came together to create a rustic votive candle holder.


You can use it to display a variety of things, like the dried hydrangeas in the photo 


or even little nests made from moss with robins eggs in them.


The last project I'm going to share is a set of bed spring wall candle sconces.
They also combine reclaimed wood, bed springs and thrifted glass pieces.


The wood for this project was reclaimed from fence boards.
The boards have the original chippy red paint.

These work great as sconces holding candles, 
and I think they would also look cute holding succulents too.


These were the last couple pieces of the fence boards.
I made fruit stand inspired signs from the rest of the fence boards.
You can see the signs here.

Maybe you have another idea on what these candle holders can be used for?
I'd love to hear your thoughts.


'til next time,
post signature
Linking to:
Knick of Time
My Repurposed Life
Sadie Seasongoods

12 comments:

  1. Cute ideas! I have a load of these old springs and need to get busy with some projects. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Becky! I have more springs and will probably make some more projects when inspiration hits!

      Delete
  2. what were those glass pieces-what were they

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marcia, the glass pieces were, I believe, candle holders from other metal stands that held candles. I see them fairly often at thrift stores. Sometimes they are in the stands and sometimes I find just the glass pieces.

      Delete
  3. I love the candleholders, those are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen them used as mini cloches - maybe a teeny nest with teeny eggs for Spring?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have too. That is actually why I originally bought a couple of the glass pieces :)

      Delete
  5. Adorable!!! Thank you so much for sharing over at the Snickerdoodle Sunday. My favorite is the wreath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Felicia, my favorite is the wreath too!

      Delete
  6. Totally great ideas!! Glad you shared. Stay warm and have a super week, Adina :-)

    Blessings...
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sherri! We actually may get a little snow tonight. I'm hoping, because it's really cold and the snow would make it worth it. :)

      Delete